“The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” – Babe Ruth
Say the word “team,” and most people envision a group of players forming one side in a competitive game or sport. In business, a team is a group of people with different skills who can combine their efforts to achieve a common goal. Teams go beyond a specific project, they make up your whole business. We consider all employees part of the business team at Success Trek. Viewing your entire organization as a team puts you on a course for greater coordination, growth, and success.
The three main steps to create a team:
- Hire the right people.
- Ensure individuals are in the right roles.
- Create an environment for success.
This blog will focus on hiring the right people. We will share our advice and perspective from our team’s real-world experience and education. A few of our tips when hiring:
- Before hiring, clearly define your expectations on skills and expertise. Take the lead from our Jargon & Buzzwords blog and avoid the terms of the day such as “social media ninja” or “results-driven sales.” Be specific about what you need for the role both now and in the future.
- Test for actual skill level, especially if the new hire needs to be proficient at specific tasks immediately. There are many free or low-cost skill tests available; however, the best way to assess an applicant’s skill level is to give them a task to complete. Even if they are not proficient, the desire to learn is also essential.
- Look for alignment of values. A recruiter or assessments may help; however, the actual interview process may be more revealing.
- Keep an open mind. As projects and businesses evolve, roles and responsibilities change. Ensuring a new hire can quickly adapt to those changes and be comfortable and flourish in them is vital.
How can we help?
If you or your team need help to identify obstacles and challenges in your workplace situation, contact Theresa, or visit our Contact Us page to schedule a 30-minute Complimentary Conversation. Reaching a goal is a journey, and Success Trek is here to work alongside you.