Disrespectful situations in the workplace can occur for numerous reasons and results in behavior that is unprofessional, inappropriate, rude, unpleasant, disturbing, or offensive. Disrespectful situations are hurtful and cause stress, impacting both the individuals involved and the surrounding team members. Let’s look at some simple tips to help diffuse these situations.
Are you being disrespected?
- Take an inventory of the situation by writing down actions you can control and those you cannot.
- Mentally let go of all those things you can’t control.
- Focus on what you can control and map out the steps you will do next to help resolve the situation.
- Take the time and space necessary to decrease your emotions and objectively think through your next realistic step.
You have a choice to stay in misery or happiness. What will you choose?
Are you a leader observing a disrespectful situation?
- Approach the individual and talk through what you are observing. “I am sensing that you are struggling to work with . Are my observations correct?”
- Once you gain more clarity on the situation, help them think out loud about the next best step to take to help them overcome the obstacle.
- If the person cannot talk through the situation, suggest connecting at another time.
- Listen to your gut. If you sense something is not right, keep the conversation going.
Ensure your leaders have the skills to deal with diffusing disrespectful situations. Contact Success Trek to find how a Leadership Development workshop can help.
How can we help?
If you or your team need help to identify obstacles and challenges in your workplace situation, contact Theresa, or visit our Contact Us page to schedule a 30-minute Complimentary Conversation. Reaching a goal is a journey, and Success Trek is here to take that journey alongside you.