If this is happening to you,
- Take an inventory of the situation by writing down actions you can control and actions you cannot.
- Mentally ‘let go’ of all those things you can’t control.
- Focus on what you can control and map out the steps you are going to do next to help resolve the situation.
- Take the time and space necessary to decrease your emotions and objectively think through your next realistic step.
You have a choice to stay in misery or happiness. What will you choose?
If you observe a disrespectful situation,
- Approach the individual and talk through what you are observing. “I am sensing that you are struggling with your working relationship with _____? Are my observations correct?”
- Once you gain more clarity on situation, help them ‘think out loud’ about the next best to take to help them overcome the obstacle.
- If the person is unable to talk through the situation, suggest connecting at another time to check in more regularly.
- Listen to your gut. If you sense something is not right, keep the conversation going.
Go to our blog for more ways to encourage respect in the workplace.