Are Your Job Descriptions Working Hard Enough?
“When they understand their role in the business, 91% of Employees will work toward its success.”
The bad news is this plummets to 23% when employees don’t feel a connection.
Poor—or nonexistent—job descriptions can be a missed opportunity or contribute to the problem.
Not a “Necessary Evil”
Job descriptions perform key functions:
- Supporting your growth strategy by ensuring vital activities are covered
- Managing performance through setting measurable goals and duties
- Employee training and development that incentivize people to stay and be promoted
- Compensating employees while setting minimum and maximum guidelines for the business
- Recognizing and rewarding people, especially when you see they have gone "above and beyond"
- Disciplining those who aren’t performing as they should
- Returning to work programs when duties must be modified due to injury or a leave
Make This a Group Effort
No one has the universal knowledge or experience to create a job description. It makes sense to tap everyone’s expertise when developing these:
- Employees who are doing the work have the best idea of its scope and size
- Managers who understand the role the job plays in their department
- HR professionals who can see how this fits into the larger business, understand legal and compliance issues, and can ensure it’s written in plain English
We recommend you update job descriptions once a year if a position hasn’t changed and more often if it has. Also, empower your employees to request a review if they see inconsistencies between what’s in writing and what they’re doing.
Pull those job descriptions out of that dusty three-ring binder and take a look. If this sounds like a daunting task, we can help.
Jeff was overwhelmed with the opening of his second location—then Theresa provided strategic guidance to help propel him to a new level of business success. Click here to watch a short video.
The Winning Strategy
- Empowered employees to handle more day-to-day operational tasks
- Respected and rewarded team members
- Encouraged job ownership & pride to drive performance
- Hands on implementation resulting in rapid turn around
JEFF BARTON, OWNER, CEO
CUSTOM DOSING PHARMACY